10 most important world events of 2007
Definitely, the 2007 year was a year of earthquakes and the year of introduction Windows Vista.
1. The Writers Guild of America goes on a strike that lasts until February 12, 2008.
More than 12,000 writers joined the strike. The strike’s goal was to rectify what was perceived as a historical injustice to America: the greatly diminished monetary compensation the writers got in comparison with the profits of the larger studios. The guilds were on strike 100 days.
2. Gordon Brown replaces Tony Blair as the prime minister of Great Britain (June 27). "Let the work of change begin," said Brown in the day he was elected.
3. Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is elected Argentina’s first woman president. She succeeds her husband, Néstor Kirchner (Oct. 28).
4. The final book of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is released and sells over 11 million copies in the first 24 hours, becoming the fastest selling book in history.
5. Bulgaria and Romania join the European Union. The European Union now has 27 member states and over half a billion people, stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Black Sea.
6.The Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia join the Schengen border-free zone.
7. Dies Anna Nicole Smith, American model and television personality dies at age 39. Smith died of "combined drug intoxication" with the sleeping medication chloral hydrate as the "major component.
First President of the Russian Federation – Boris Yeltsin has died at the age of 76. Yeltsin suffered sudden heart failure.
8. Halo 3 is released, breaking all previous records in entertainment history by generating $170 million in the first 24 hours of release.
9. Microsoft releases Windows Vista. Earlier the launch, Windows Vista was known by its codename “Longhorn”. The release of Windows Vista came more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP. It was succeeded by Windows 7 which was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and for the general public on October 22, 2009.
10. Earthquake in the whole world kills people and injures: 8.1 earthquake triggers tsunami in the Solomon Islands; Earthquake in Japan damages nuclear power plan releasing 300 gallons of radioactive water; 8.0 Earthquake in Peru kills over 500 people, injures over 1,500; 7.7 Earthquake in northern Chile.